Monday, August 30, 2010

Why I Don't Care For the Emmy's


Last night were the Emmy’s and even though I watch as much T.V. as I possibly can and consider it one my oldest friends I cannot bring myself to care about the Emmy’s. It’s not that I don’t want to see my favorite shows do well or be rewarded. My main complaint with the Emmy’s is the habitual nominations and wins of the same people and shows. There is so little variety from year to year that it’s not interesting. I mean how many times can Alec Baldwin, Steve Carell, or Tony fuckin Shalhoub be nominated for Best Actor in a Comedy and win? I’m not saying I don’t appreciate those guys in their respected shows I just feel that there is so more out there for people to choose from.

Another thing I don’t like about the Emmy’s is how they ignore the underrated talent. One of my favorite shows, “The King of Queens”, was on air for a decade and it never won a single award. That show, and Kevin James especially, was hysterical. Instead, in 2006 the award for Best Lead Actor in a Comedy went to Shalhoub who had already won the Emmy three times. Furthermore, he has been nominated every year since 2003. Or how about “Lost”? Here’s a show that everyone jerked off to for years saying its so amazing. However, it quickly lost its momentum in the recent years, then had subpar series finale, and was nominated for Best Drama Series, which it thankfully didn’t win.

The Emmy’s need to give other people and shows time to shine. For example, “How I Met Your Mother” is a great show with a funny cast but somehow there’s a need to give another nomination to "30 Rock" or The Office (I love "The Office" by the way I’m just using it as an example). Year after year it’s the same bullshit with the Emmy’s and it’s just not interesting to me. I can appreciate, however, the Miniseries categories, which is always different and unique. This year Steven Spielberg and Tom Hank’s The Pacific won and it rightfully should have. Their recreation of the Marines in the South Pacific in World War II was stellar, accurate, and breathtaking. Another well-deserved win was Al Pacino for Best Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for playing Dr. Jack Kevorkian on HBO’s You Don’t Know Jack, which was sad, dark, and emotional, but highly moving.

While I’m happy Pacino and The Pacific won I’m still frustrated by the generic nominations of the Emmy’s. In my opinion the Oscars has been and will always be superior.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the Emmy's lack of appeal. This award show has lost much of its luster.

    I was happy to see however, Modern Family win many of the awards. The Pacific deserved its' honors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! HIMYM deserves a best comedy award! That show is SO good!

    ReplyDelete