20. Jules Winnflied (Pulp Fiction)- Jules is on this list because he has a wallet that says “Bad Mother Fucker” on it and that is a title he certainly lives up to. Jules is more than just an assassin He’s a smart, philosophic, religious assassin with a deep soul. When you listen to the conversations he has with Vincent Vega (John Travolta) you will recognize that he is a perceptive man with a cool looking hairdo. Jules always maintains a sense of coolness, confidence, and professionalism. However, he would just as easily shoot you as he would talk to you.
Best Scene- Berating Bret for screwing over Marcellus Wallace and then delivering his customary last words to his victim.
Best Quote- “Ezekiel 25:17 - "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
19. The Terminator (The Terminator)- The Terminator is vastly different than any other villain in cinema history. While any other villain may get tired, hungry, or reasoned with this is not the case with the T-800. He, or it, has no sense of compassion, mercy, or any emotions. It simply eliminates its intended target when it can. Arnold’s representation of the killing machine was executed perfectly and his gigantic presence breathed life into to the unstoppable killing machine. The Terminator’s strikes fear into its victim’s hearts and lets it be known that he is the bringer of death.
Best Scene- The massacre at the police station. The Terminator kills 20 police officers effortlessly.
Best Quote- “I’ll be back.”
18. James “Droz” Andrews (PCU)- Now, you must be thinking that there are several other characters who are better than this guy. In some ways, yes there are, but in other ways not really. Droz is a very important character because he wasn’t scared to upset the establishment. When he saw an opportunity to make a joke out of a serious situation he took it. He proved that although people are uptight and politically correct on the outside they really desire to let loose, party, and enjoy life. Not only is he a partier and a prankster but a thinker and good leader. Most importantly, Droz showed a new generation of high school kids and young collegians what college has the potential to be like. He showed viewers that college can be the BEST four years of a persons like and for that he’s the man.
Best Scene: Throwing 100lbs of meat on a peaceful vegan protest. Some would argue it was more than 100lbs. I would agree.
Best Quote: “We’re not gonna protest!” – In reality, the entire movie has great quotes so take your pick and share if you like.
17. Ace Ventura (Ace Ventura Pet Detective)- Solving human crimes doesn’t interest Mr. Ventura. Due to his respect, love, and understanding of animals Ace has taken it upon himself to help save them from the evil clutches of humans. On the outside Ace Ventura looks like a guy who may be certifiably insane and rocks a mutated Elvis haircut. In reality, he is exactly that type of person. However, his whacky personality provides a great illusion towards others. Ace is extremely smart and perceptive. His attention to detail is better than most cops, which allowes him to consistently embarrass the local law enforcement when they can’t put the piece of the puzzle together.
Best Scene: Posing as a mentally challenged person in order to gain entry into a psychiatric ward. The picture above.
Best Quote- Once again to each their own. Mine…
Reporter: [skeptically] Where is Snowflake?
Ace Ventura: Why do you care about Snowflake? Do you know him? Does he call you at home?
Ace Ventura: Do you have a dorsal fin? To train ze dolphin you must zink like ze dolphin! You must be getting inside ze dolphin's head. I am saying to Snowflake, "Akay!... Akay Akay Akay?" und he is saying "AKay Akay!" und he is up on ze tail "Eeeeeeeeee!" und you can quote him!
16. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars IV-VI)- Luke Skywalker is another traditional hero. Unlike Maximus, we see Luke’s evolution as character from start to finish. In the first film, he was a whinny little bitch who didn’t understand the nature of things. In Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi we see a much different Luke. He’s battle hardened and has come to understand the difficulties of life. What I always liked about Luke was that he was pure of heart. Yes, he did flirt with the Dark Side however it was his strong moral code and pure heart that allowed him to dominate Dark Vadar and the Emperor.
Best Scenes- 1) His reaction to finding out that Darth Vadar is really his father just after getting his hand chopped off. 2) Unleashing hell on Vadar when he threatens to turn Leia to the Dark Side.
Best Quote:- “I am Luke Skywalker…I’m here to rescue you!”
15. Maximus (Gladiator)- This Roman general had everything: a successful military career, legions of soldiers loyal to him, a grateful and father-like emperor, and a family. Within a small amount of time Commodus shattered his world. Maximus represents all the noble virtues of a hero: strong, courageous, smart, loyal, and a natural leader. However, Maximus is not just any ordinary hero; he’s a tragic one. The pain and suffering he endures fuels his thirst for revenge and justice. What made him so memorable as a character was his dedication to justice in the films climax.
Best Scene- Taking on 6-8 gladiators by himself and brutally butchering them to pieces. This is then followed by the cheers of the crowd, “Spaniard! Spaniard! Spaniard!”
Best Quote(s)- "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General ofthe Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." And “My name is Gladiator.”
14. Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)- As weird as this may sound, if you can get passed his homicidal urges to kill and potentially eat you Patrick Batman may be one of the funniest people ever. Bateman epitomizes the yuppie generation of the 1980’s. He’s wealthy, superficial, and materialistic but he’s self-conscious and extremely obsessed with fitting in. At the same time, he can’t stand himself or the people he is surrounded by. He care’s more about his bed sheets than human life. His sick, twisted, and merciless view towards the world allows him to violently take life without regret.
Best Scenes: Dropping a chainsaw down a stairwell thus killing his fleeing victim. Also, (this one is my favorite) silently FREAKING THE FUCK OUT when his friends and colleagues like another person’s business card more than his.
Best Quotes: “I have to return some video tapes.” And the quote in the picture which starts as, "Sabrina...
13. Rocky Balboa (Rocky I-VI)- I think it goes without saying why Rocky is on this list. Rocky is more than a fighter he’s a warrior with a never give up attitude. Everything in his life stunk but that all changed when he got a shot at the title. By beating Apollo he was able to turn his whole life around. He showed everyone that determination and persistence is the key to success. His huge heart and belief in himself allowed him to climb to the top and become one of the best fighters. Even though he’s a fictional character Rocky's spirit has inspired so many people over the years and he will always remain an important figure in American pop-culture.
Best Scene- Depends on which movie: In Rocky II- the fight with Apollo and slow motion struggle to get up and beat the 10 count. Rocky IV-the training montage and fight with Ivan Drago.
Best Quotes- "Yo, Adrian! I did it!" And "Going in one more round when you don't think you can - that's what makes all the difference in your life."
12. Yoda (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi)- If this was 1980 and you were asked to describe the most powerful Jedi you would have NEVER described him as a 3ft tall green alien with huge ears. However, that is the case with Master Yoda who is the embodiment of The Force. He understands its philosophy and soul, which is why he is the perfect teacher. Even though he is small you should judge him by his appearance. His abilities and powers are nearly limitless but as any Jedi, Yoda is in complete control of himself and doesn’t give into fear.
Best Scene- Raising Luke’s X-Wing plane out of the swamp.
Best Quotes- “Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?” Also, “Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” And, my personal favorite since these are great words of wisdom, “Do or do not…there is no try.”
11. Michael Corleone (The Godfather)- Michael Corleone is perhaps the single greatest example of character development and evolution in the history of cinema. If you were to watch The Godfather for the first time my guess is that you would not expect Michael to turn out the way he did. In the beginning of the story he’s sweet, honest, loving, and attentive. By the end of the film he’s merciless, deceptive, and extremely cunning. As the movie progresses we see Michael slowly change into a person his father never wanted him to be. What’s scarier is that Michael always had those latter qualities in him he just never used them. When the time came he assumed power and ruled like Stalin…with an iron fist. His ability to observe his surroundings and analyze the people within his business allowed him to be a great Don.
Best Scene- When Michael is out to dinner with Sollozzo and Capt. McCluskey and shoots them down in front of everyone. This is the scene where Michael metamorphosis’s occurs. One could argue that he changed when he came up with the idea to kill the men. While that is a strong example it’s his action that finally seals the deal.
Best Quotes- “It’s nothing personal Sonny…it’s strictly business.” And “Keep your friends close and enemies closer.”