10. Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump)- I think its safe to say that halfway through the movie everyone fell in love with Forrest Gump. Yes, he wasn’t the smartest person but what he lacked in intelligence he more than made up with heart, courage, kindness, and love. One thing that I always liked about Forrest was his life experience. Knowing that he was somewhat mentally challenged (and physically at one point) he did not let it impede on the type of life he wished to live. He put 110% into any activity he took part in. As a result, he became famous, successful, and rich. Along with Rocky, Forrest Gump lived the American dream...you all to do is believe and try.
Best Scene Saving his fellow soldiers from an air raid attack in Vietnam.
Best Quote- “Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
9. Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off)- Okay, if you tell me that you never tried Ferris’ techniques to fake being sick and stay home from school you’re a liar. I vividly recall trying them out when I was in elementary school. Did it work? Fuck no! But it was worth a shot because Ferris was so convincing. I think everyone in their own way wishes they could be Ferris Bueller in high school. Not only was he popular but he was talk of the school and had a smoking hot girl friend. Ferris was a smart little bastard who was always three steps ahead of administrator Edward Rooney. For any high school student I think that is a pleasurable thought.
Best Scene- Mysteriously working his way onto a parade float and singing “Danke Schoen” by Wayne Newton and “Twist and Shout” by The Beatles.
Best Quote- “Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around you once in a while, you could miss it.” Other words of wisdom.
8. Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver)- Travis Bickle is a man sick in the head. On the outside he seems like a quiet, nice guy who minds his business. On the inside Travis is a psychopath who is disgusted with society. He hates the filth, greed, and sex that plagues the very streets he drives. Moreover, Travis is weird and obsessive. His interpretation of a good date is taking a woman to dirty movie. His obsession centers around a 13-year old prostitute who believe it’s his duty to save her. Travis Bickle is one of DeNiro’s best characters and has become an iconic figure for film lovers.
Best Scene- The ending where he goes on a shooting spree killing a pimp and clients. This is followed up by Travis pointing a “gun” to his own head and “pulling the trigger”. That scene clearly represents his psychopathic behavior.
Best Quote- “You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK.”
Best Scene- Slapping a crying Johnny Fontane in the face screaming at him, “You can act like a man!” Also, when he was in retirement and informed Michael how his enemies were going to come at him. That is a man of brilliance.
Beat Quote- “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
6. Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark)- One of my earliest heroes. Indiana Jones lived an adventurous life filled with uncertain dangers but that never stopped him. He is another hero who is pure of heart and soul. Dr. Jones showed us that you don’t have to be a super-hero in order to save the day. All he needed some was a whip, a gun, his intelligence, and a big set of balls to get the job done. I’d also like to mention he had the coolest hat in the world, which completed his look. Even when it seemed his luck had run short Indy managed to pull something off whether it was through his skills, more luck, or even his charm. Finally, Indiana’s love and respect for history was what first fostered my own passion for it, so thanks.
Best Scene- Any scene that’s playing his iconic theme music.
Best Quote- “It’s not the years, honey-it’s the mileage.”
5. The Joker (The Dark Knight)- Michael Caine’s Alfred described The Joker perfectly. He said, “There are some men you just can’t reason with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” That quote accurately represents the type of person The Joker really is and we have Heath Ledger to thank for that. The Joker would be just as happy to blow up a building with thousand of people in it, as he would be lighting fire works. He has no sense of honor, no moral code, or any true reason to do the things he does. He just does things and as a viewer watching it will make you feel uncomfortable. As he said himself, The Joker is an “agent of chaos” who loves anarchy because it feeds his black soul.
Best Scene- Undoubtedly, his disappearing pencil “magic trick”. No one saw that coming.
Best Quotes- “Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. I just... do things.” “I’m an agent of chaos.” And “This city deserves a better class of criminals and I’m gonna give it to them.”
4. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)- Beware anyone with the first name of Hannibal. The Romans had a problem with a Hannibal and so did everyone else in the Silence of the Lambs. Aside from Dr. Lecter’s homicidal and cannibalistic desires he’s an extremely dangerous man. His vast intellect and perceptiveness enables him to tap into someone’s mind allowing him to dissect their inner thoughts. It seems that Hannibal enjoys toying with his victims more so then the act of killing them. Even though Dr. Lecter is a psychopath he is a refined one with lavish tastes in culinary (mammal and human alike), classical music, and art. Much like Agent Clarice Starling or Special Agent Will Graham (Red Dragon), if you pose to be intriguing, a challenge, or unique to him Hannibal Lecter can be a formidable ally who will help you find what you seek. But don’t become too trustworthy for he is still a killer.
Best Scene- Carving off a guards face and putting it over his own in order to escape his prison via ambulance.
Best Quotes- "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."
3. James Bond (Goldfinger)- The one and only, Bond. James Bond. 007 is by far the godfather of all spies and spy movies. He set the bar so high that very few have been able to reach it since his debut. Another personal childhood favorite James Bond is simply the man. He’s well cultured, highly intelligent, knowledgeable on various things, a charmer, radiates coolness and a suave manner, and is the biggest pussy magnet ever. I mean the women in these films practically throw their wet snatch at him and he doesn’t even care if he’s fucking the bad girl. It’s all done for the sake of the mission and Queen and Country. Moreover, 007 has the coolest spy toys ever, which makes his job more awesome. Even without the toys James is trained in various forms of combat and has a knack for getting out of sticky situations. (Although there have been many versions of Bond over the years, all with their own following, I am die-hard fan and a purist. Therefore, I only recognize Sean Connery as the true James Bond. He was/still is the best. Fuck you Roger Moore!)
Best Scenes- While making out with a girl he sees an on coming thug in the reflection of her eyes. As if his martial arts moves weren’t enough this scoundrel attempts to reach for James gun while in a tub. 007 slaps a fan into the bath tub and watches him fry.
Best Quotes- “Bond. James Bond.” And “My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!”
2. Tyler Durden (Fight Club)- He told you the rules of Fight Club and then set your soul free. He told you that our meaningless jobs didn’t define who we are and then blew up several buildings. As he said himself he is everything we are not. What we fear to do or say he does with the greatest of ease. He is our inner truth represented by a monster with god like features. He show’s no fear of life, death, or the future. He only shows acceptance for what is to come. He is a cool, sleek talking guy that does what he wants when he wants without care. He isn’t nice. He isn’t the type of guy you want to take home to your parents. Why? Because he’ll pee in your soup and then splice a picture of a big dick in your parents 1973 wedding reel. You can’t deny his leadership abilities, his philosophical outlook on life, his sense of style, and skills for making bombs out of soap. He is Tyler Durden!
Best Scene- When Tyler encourages Lou, the owner of the bar they fight in, to take out his frustrations on his face. 30 seconds later Tyler’s face is completely covered with blood and he’s just laughing.
Best Quote- "You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."
1. Darth Vadar (Star Wars-prequels)- By far he is the most feared villain in the history cinema and within the Star Wars galaxy. Any true Star Wars fan feared Lord Vadar at one point in their childhood. There are several factors that worked in Vadar’s favor that made him so feared and yet so popular: his tall dark presence which metaphorically spoke of the blackness in his soul, his limitless power of the Dark Side, the constant sound of that creepy respirator, and that expressionless mask which made him impossible to read. Whether he was angry, sad, or in a rare brief state of pleasure you could never tell through that mask. It hid his emotions while simultaneously representing who he was…dark and tortured, which in turn scared everyone. Another factor that has made Darth Vadar so great is his voice. The deep voice of James Earl Jones perfectly suited the Sith Lord and added more depth the character. Even though he may be merciful from time to time do not be fooled. After all he doesn’t have to be near you to kill you.
Best Scenes- Choking out an ignorant non-believer of The Force by simply closing his thumb and index finger together. Also, anyone of his entrances, which are always accompanied by his legendary music.
Best Quote- “I find your lack of faith disturbing.”